Sunday, November 29, 2009

Geek Fest, HausPaus and a Case of the Nesters

Well where do I begin? It has been about a month since my last post, and now that we are about a week away from the big day, it is my turn to add some levity to the proceedings. Hopefully I can accomplish it, but to be honest, I am getting a little nervous myself. You now that nervousness that's 98% excited/2% scared or maybe its 2% excited/98% scared, I don't know, but that's what makes it so intense you know.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty busy around here, but that doesn't mean that we didn't have a chance to add a little fun for a distraction. Last Friday, Jodi and a friend went to see Twilight New Moon (or Geek Fest as I like to call it). Now I am a Star Trek/Star Wars fan, heck I am even watching V right now, but this is a whole other level of geek. On the surface, I get the story...unrequited, forbidden love...a little Romeo and Juliet, but the fanaticism of this book blows my mind. I am not even going to get into the Team Edward/Team Jacob debate, but when Jodi and her friend met up with me and the friend's husband after the movie for dinner, you would have thought that they just saw the 2010 Oscar winner for Best Picture. Well as they begin to recount the plot of the movie and tell us a little about how the story ends, we get a picture painted for us that cannot be erased. (SPOILER ALERT) Jacob, one of Bella's loves, ends up falling in love with the daughter of Bella and Edward who grows older, exponentially (so as not to make it weird). What?!?!? I thought I watched some pretty strange movies, but that is just plain weird.

After I finally got that picture out of my mind, Jodi and I discussed what we were going to do for Thanksgiving. I won't bore you with the details, but I finally witnessed first hand that week what "Pregnancy Brain" really is. On our way home from running some errands, Jodi asked what we were going to do with all of the leftovers. I said, "Why don't you call your friends and see if they want to all bring their leftovers to our house for a leftover party."
Jodi's response was, "Oh, you mean like a HausPaus!"
What?
You know a HausPaus
I have no idea what you are talking about.
A Haus...Paus, you know.
A Pot Luck?
No, its a HausPaus!
Oh a Smorgasbord?
NO! a HAUSPAUS!

This went on for at least 5 blocks and 2 stop lights.
Finally, after hearing "HausPaus" enough times, I said, "Do you mean a hodgepodge?"
"Yes, that is what I meant"
"What does that have to do with food?"
"I don't know?"

Jodi has always had "moments" where things she says don't make sense, and I think her family and friends would agree. However the fervor and ferocity with which she defended her HausPaus, was when I finally found an appreciation for pregnancy brain.

Needless to say, the last few weeks has absolutely flown by. It doesn't even seem like that long ago when Jodi fist started to show. Even more recently we started working on the nursery and getting the house ready. But the last few weeks has seemed to throw the process into overdrive. They say mothers tend to "nest" right before they give birth, well, just last night Jodi was folding laundry on the floor of the laundry room and running around the house making sure everything was sterilized. So I guess the baby will be here soon.

Jodi and I continue to be amazed at the support and generosity of our family and friends. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We will update you next week on the newest member of our family.

No comments: