Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Day of Firsts

Friday was a day of firsts for Olivia and her family. We already knew that obviously Olivia would be our first child and my parents' first grandchild, but there were more firsts on Friday as well.

Adam got to change his first diaper! YOu may ask yourself..."Self, how would Adam get to be almost 32 years old and never change a diaper?" Well the answer is very simple, planning ahead. In the past if I have been in a room with a baby that has just eaten, I leave. If I smell gas in a room, and know for a fact it wasn't me, I leave. If someone asks, "Adam do you want to change the diaper?", I leave. See, a very simple strategy. Well that worked for me until Friday night.

The nurse tending to Olivia found out that I had never changed a diaper, so she was bound and determined to make sure that I would before the end of the day. After some routine tests, it was time to change the diaper, and I had no escape route. So I pleasantly changed a diaper that wasn't even soiled, but I did it.

It was a little tricky navigating all of the extra wires and tubes, and I only made one mistake. I accidentally pulled out the catheter. The wire had been taped down when I started, and came unstuck by the time these fat fingers were done. The result, Olivia's first bikini wax!

This week Olivia also got her first haircut. It was not exactly even, but it did the trick for her surgery. And in taking after her father, Olivia has a little bit of hair on her earlobes. Sorry to April and Rebecca, but she got her first ear rub from her daddy.

(We do have pictures of all of the above, but have not had the computer and the camera in the same room long enough to get them downloaded.)

Jodi and I appreciate the following from everyone on our family's status. Olivia loves the attention and appreciates all of the support. It would be remiss if I did not give you a quick update as well. This weekend has been a challenge for Olivia. In addition to the spina bifida and hydrocephalous, Olivia has had some problems with regulating fluids and establishing a stable breathing rhythm. The doctors have said that this could be a permanent condition or a side effect of a week full of surgeries. We pray that it is the latter.

Jodi and I have been extemely appreciative of the calls, emails, and texts. We are sorry that we cannot respond to you all individually, but are spending as much time as possible with Olivia. We continue to ask for your prayers.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Jodi and Adam,
I continue to keep a candle lit so that everytime I look at it I'll remember to say a prayer for Olivia. Courtney and Brooke keep asking about her and of course how you are doing. Thank you so much for sharing Olivia's updates! We are sending positive thoughts and prayers your way, and of course cannot wait for the day when we get to see Olivia in person.
Much Love,
Trisha and John

Unknown said...

Jodi and Adam

Adam the changing diaper pic is classic-luckily Olivia is too young to remember! Thanks for the pics and updates always thinking of you! Olivia is always in our thoughts and prayers. Keelan said Olivia has beautiful hair.

Love
Melisa

Leslie Elpers said...

Jodi and Adam, I am on Julie's email list so she is keeping me up to date. I am saying lots of prayers and hope you get good news tomorrow on the MRI. So glad you have such a loving and supportive family and lots of friends. Sending hugs your way.
Leslie

FHC Boys Basketball said...

Jodi and Adam

She is absolutely beautiful!
Ryan and I continue to pray for Olivia and pray she keeps making those small steps every day!

Thinking of you everyday


Love,
Ryan and Dawn Kreder

Unknown said...

Dear Olivia
I've been sleeping with my "soft blankey" for about a year now. I love it sooo much but I've decided that it's time to pass it on to you. It's kept me warm and given me comfort during my naps and at bedtime, and I want you to have it now. I want you to be strong and brave during this time. You're so pretty and amazing, and I can't wait to see you and give you your new "Soft Blankey"!
Take this time to get a good rest so you can get big, strong, and healthy! Me, Jackson, mom, dad, and papa geno are praying for you and giving you all of ouor positive thoughts and energy!
Love Spencer

Judi said...

Love you guys ... ALWAYS praying for all 3 of you and your families!!!! Olivia is an angel ...

(((hugs)))
Aunt Judi

Anonymous said...

Jodi and Adam
We are thinking and praying for all 3 of you everyday.
Thank you for taking the time to update and post pictures. Olivia is precious!
Sending you lots of XOXO from STL.
Joe and Amanda Fortner

Anonymous said...

Jodi and Adam.. what a beautiful little girl. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Olivia and I hope good news comes tommorow. Thinking of you...

Vickie Waller

Leslie Sprick said...

Jodi and Adam,
We continue to pray for Olivia, as well as for her doctors and nurses. You two are constantly in our thoughts, and we wish you peace and strength as you fight for your precious daughter.

All our love,
Darrell and Leslie

Lisa said...

So exciting to see pics of little Olivia. You are in our thoughts and prayers! The Sebastian's

Tonya, Scott, Katie and Matthew Clark said...

Know that all of our thoughts and prayers are with you each moment, holding you and Olivia up! She is a beautiful blessing and born to amazing parents. Much love and prayers!

Kim Bergen said...

Lots of love and prayers are being sent your way...

Love you!
Kim and Greg

Brian said...

Lots of thoughts and prayers for your family. May god be watching over all of you.
-The Eads

tgorman said...

Jodi and Adam- Congratulations on the birth of Olivia! She is a beautiful little girl. Linda Mahfood has been keeping me informed from before and after her birth. I know you are using all your energy to do the best for Olivia. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Terry Gorman